Guitar Technique Reference
Basic Technique for Beginner Guitarists Video
- How to Sit and Hold the Guitar.
- How to Hold a Guitar Pick.
- How to play a Single Note with a guitar pick.
- How to Strum Multiple Strings (with a guitar pick).
- Tips and Advice for Beginner Guitarists.
PLACE VIDEO HERE
Technique Advice for Beginner Guitarists
- Avoid Tension! Keep good posture while practicing. Do not slouch over to look at your Guitar Neck or Body (unless absolutely necessary while learning, but do not make it a habit!) Good Posture helps protect your Neck and Back from injury.
- Avoid Wrist bending and tension. Holding your pick correctly will keep your arm and wrist straight. Your picking hand and wrist should be able to lay FLAT on the strings.
- Keep your Guitar in correct forward facing position. Do not bend your guitar upwards to look at the Neck or Body.
- Keep the Neck slightly slanted upwards. Maintain comfort.
- Sit in a Chair with no Arms, a Guitar Stool, or other appropriate seat that allows you to play the guitar with good posture (and not hit anything by accident).
- If you Stand and Play, Strap Locks are recommended so your guitar does not fall to the ground.